Monday, February 11, 2013

My support letter goes in the mail tomorrow. Let me know if you want me to send you one. :)



Dear friends,                                                                  February 2013

Hello!   Last spring God used many of you to provide everything that I needed to go on my first summer missions trip to New York City.  That was a wonderfully scary experience that I would not trade for anything!  God taught me that He is more than able to take care of me.

Last year I told you that I love kids and working with them.  God is showing me that I am best suited to work with early elementary age kids.  He has allowed me many opportunities over the past year to further develop my skills, and to learn how to serve Him better.  I have had numerous opportunities to babysit this past year, as well as work in the nursery at one of our local MOPS groups.  I have served in our K-5th grade children’s church and am currently co-teaching in our preschool mid-week children’s club.  I have even had a number of opportunities to clean houses, pet sit or just be company for others over the past year.

I still dream of working at an orphanage someday.  I think that God might want me to serve on the mission field when I get older.  My heart certainly is moved by orphan stories, and I long to “mother” the parentless.  My parents and I have been praying for years about further opportunities to serve and see.  I want to explore whether or not this is what God has for me.

Last summer, I took a HUGE step, and went on a two-week missions trip with Global Expeditions to New York City.  It was my first time flying, and I did four of my flights all by myself- that was a new experience!  I traveled to Texas -someplace I’ve never been before- where I met and trained with my team.  Even though I live only a couple hours from New York City, it was my first time visiting the Big Apple!  I was one of the youngest members of my team, but I got to serve alongside a variety of high school and college students who truly love our God and want to serve Him.  It’s been neat to stay in touch with many of them throughout the past year, and to be encouraged to continue pursuing Him.

This year I have applied and been accepted to do another state-side trip with Global Expeditions, from July 6th to July 24th, but I don’t think it could be more different.  For one thing, I have a great friend from our homeschool co-op who has been accepted for the same trip, so I won’t be traveling solo this summer.  And while last year allowed me to experience inner-city ministry in New York City, this summer will give me the opportunity to see what ministry is like in the small villages of Alaska!

In the meantime, I will be working hard to raise funds for my trip.  The total cost of this trip is approximately $3,300 (flight costs haven’t been finalized).  All of my accommodations, food and training are included.  I know that I cannot accomplish this task alone, and my family and I are trusting that God will provide the finances needed for me to go on this trip.  I would like to ask you to pray for me as I prepare for and go on this trip.  I am also asking you to pray about giving toward my trip costs.  You may not have a lot to give, and that’s okay.  If everyone I send this letter to could donate $30-40, my trip would be completely covered.  Not everyone can do even that much, but some may be able to do more.  Whether you can help financially or not, would you please pray that God would provide the needed funds, and that I would be able to fight through my fears and serve Him in whatever way He allows.

I have several financial deadlines to meet: I need $300 as soon as possible to reserve my spot.  On May 10th, an additional $1500 is due.  The remaining $1500 is due by June 14th.  Any amount that you can give will be greatly appreciated.  If you would like to support me in this exciting opportunity, you can:

1- Mail a check, along with the enclosed form, to Teen Mania.       OR
2- Donate online at www.globalexpeditions.com.
In either case, use my ID number, #2669590.
All financial gifts are tax-deductible and non-refundable.
For more information, call Global Expeditions Missions Support Hotline at (866) 545-6239.

If you have any questions for me or my parents (Michael & Melissa Brink), please contact us at 607-771-4922 or email us at brinkfamily@flmtgif.org.  My parents and I have also started a blog so that I can keep you updated on this missions journey.  The web address for that is www.emilybrinkalaska2013.blogspot.com.  If you’d like to read about last year’s trip, that blog is still up at  www.emilybrinknyc2012.blogspot.com.

Every year Global Expeditions takes thousands of young people on missions trips around the world.  The vision of Global Expeditions is to give young people like me the opportunity to make an eternal impact in this world!  I want to do my part to change lives in Alaska by taking part in this ministry.  Last summer, I went to one of the most densely-populated places in America; this summer, I’ll go to one of the most isolated.  Native American culture is still active in many of the villages we’ll be visiting.  We’ll be doing repair projects, planting gardens, fixing fences, painting, helping in homes and playing with young children, providing evidence for hope in a region where many struggle with depression, alcohol and drug abuse and suicide.  While we are there, the sun will be up by 5 am and won’t go down until nearly midnight; still, many people are stumbling in darkness.  It’s my desire that God would shine through me this summer!

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.  I greatly appreciate your prayer and support!
God Bless,


Emily Brink
1133 Vestal Ave #2
Binghamton NY 13903

1 comment:

  1. Emily... I am so excited to read what God is doing in your life. I cannot wait to hear stories of what God does and how he provides for you! I will be praying and seeing how we can help you too. Looking forward to hearing more about it. take care - God bless, Denise Robsky

    ReplyDelete